Lewisville, Texas, is a suburban community within the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. The city is located in Denton County and just barely overlaps into Dallas County. The population was 111,822 as of the 2020 census. The city is primarily a suburb of Dallas. It is home to a diverse population of more than 100,000 people. Next article
The city was founded in 1881. The town’s early development was spurred by the construction of the M. K. and T. railroad. By the early twentieth century, the town grew to a population of over 3,150. However, the origin of the name is unknown. In 1881, local historian Dr. Kirkpatrick published an article about Lewisville and its history. Lewis lived in the area for a short time, and his life was mentioned in the article. Up next is
Lewisville’s development is also marked by the construction of several stores. Its first elementary school was built on a plot of land in 1891. The original building burned down in 1909, but was rebuilt in red brick in 1921. The building now houses the elementary grades. The superintendent of the public school was P. D. Kennemer, and among its graduates were Mable Addington, Ethel Hayes, Louis Milleken, and Clo Crawford.
The school system in Lewisville is second to none in the Denton County area. The high school and junior high school are in new, modern buildings. The elementary school is located in an old building that was built in 1921. A new elementary school is currently under construction and is expected to be completed by the fall of 2019.
The climate in Lewisville is mild and pleasant. The area is also home to Lewisville Lake, which is a great recreational destination for the DFW Metroplex. The Lewisville city council, which is nonpartisan, prioritizes recreational and cultural investments. The city is also home to the MCL Grand Theatre. During its history, the city has changed and adapted to the growth of the I-35 Corridor and Intestate 35 E. This has resulted in a stable economic climate for the area.
The community is home to many churches. Lewisville’s Church of Christ, for instance, was organized around 1886. It had eight charter members and a large frame building. The church later moved to a brick building on West Main Street. The Lewisville Bible Church, which was organized in 1955, met in a home until 1956. This church later moved to a new building near the high school.
Lewisville has several banks that offer services. The Lewisville branch of Compass Bank is located at 1101 West Main Street. Compass Bank has a total of 720 branches. It is owned by Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A. Moreover, the Commercial Bank of Texas, National Association, has its branch in Lewisville. It has 16 locations in the city and is part of Nacogdoches Commercial Banshares, Inc.
Lewisville also has a strong fire department, staffed by volunteer firefighters. In fact, Lewisville may have had the first volunteer fire department in the area. Its “grass committee” was probably a Masonic Lodge. The members’ duties included burning prairie grass around the hall on the first calm day. This was for two reasons: to protect the hall from large grass fires and to prevent Indians from hiding close to the lodge.